With a majority relying on agriculture for their livelihood, the key to the growth of the Indian economy still lies on the shoulders of agriculture. As technology has been transforming almost every sector, it can work wonders for agriculture and affiliated sectors as well. We can already see numerous advancements around us and this is just the beginning.
In recent times India has seen exceptional growth in terms of digital connectivity. It is expected to go beyond 66.6 crores internet users by 2025. With such a massive user base comes the golden opportunity to unfold the real potential of technological advancements.
Before we discuss the role of technology in India’s agri-economy, let’s take a brief look at the challenges that have acted as obstacles to growth.
- Most Indian farmers have small landholdings, and they completely rely on traditional farming techniques.
- Also, limited access to new-age machinery, storage facilities, logistical support and lack of information restricts them from flourishing.
- Apart from this, adverse climate is the main blockage to sustainable agriculture in India.
- The Indian agricultural supply chain is also a bit complicated and unorganised. This results in a huge wastage of agricultural produce.
- In addition to it, the majority of people employed in the agriculture sector still lack access to credit and proper insurance coverage.
How technology is mitigating these challenges?
Technology is slowly helping overcome the innumerable challenges that Indian agriculture faces on a day-to-day basis. Whether it is climate, irrigation, soil-related issues or even supply chain problems, the answer lies with technology.
Thanks to technology, now farmers can get timely updates on their smartphones. Weather patterns can be predicted accurately which was extremely difficult in the past. Apart from this, the increase in sustainable irrigation practices across the country has led to better yield. Technology is also filling the gaps in the supply chain by providing logistical support.
Furthermore, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), and Cloud are leading agriculture towards higher crop yields, sustainability, and better earnings. All these together are paving the way to a vibrant agri-economy.
Let’s take a look at some of the official data
- In 2020-21 the share of agriculture in GDP increased to 19.9 percent from 17.8 percent in 2019-20. According to the Economic Survey 2020-2021, such a great contribution in GDP was made after almost 17 years.
- Presently, India is among the 15 leading exporters of agricultural products in the world.
- In FY2020, agricultural exports from India reached US$ 35.09 billion.
There are several companies providing technological solutions that are shaping the agricultural ecosystem. One such company is ChargeERP.
What does ChargeERP offer?
The possibilities with technology are boundless and there’s so much that remains to be explored. Agriculture has already gone through a sea change thanks to various innovative ideas. But we believe that the best is yet to come, and ChargeERP is step in that direction. Please visit www.chargeerp.com or dial +91 9311341199 and book your free demo today.